Logo Los Pueblos Más Bonitos de EspañaLos Pueblos Más Bonitos de España - Inicio
ContactEnterManagement
Qué ver

Points of interest in Chinchón

12 puntos de interés para descubrir

Mapa de lugares

Cargando mapa...

Descripción de cada lugar

The Main Square of Chinchón
01
POI

The Main Square of Chinchón

Classified as one of the most beautiful in the world. A meeting place where cattle fairs were held, the council bought some houses in 1499 to hold their meetings, establishing the Town Hall in the same place where it is located today. In 1502 Juana la Loca and Felipe el Hermoso visited Chinchón and our Plaza Mayor. In 1683 it was closed and sufficient openings were made to allow processions and carriages to pass through. As a whole, the square is supported and enclosed by three-story buildings and wooden balconies, called "clearings". It has been used as a corral for comedies, cane games, autos sacramentales and bullfighting celebrations. In 2008 it was declared the 4th wonder of the Community of Madrid.

Monastery of the Augustinians-Tourist Parador
02
POI

Monastery of the Augustinians-Tourist Parador

Founded by the Counts of Chinchón in the 17th century. During the War of Succession it hosted the Archduke Charles for a few days. With the passage of time it became a center of humanist education, during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries until the disentailment of Mendizábal when it became a court of the judicial party. The part formerly occupied by the monks is today the Parador de Turismo de Chinchón. Attached to the convent is the Hermitage of Our Lady of the Rosary, the former church of the convent.

Clock tower
03
POI

Clock tower

In this place was located the Parish Church of Our Lady of Grace, the oldest of Chinchón as there is evidence of it as early as the fourteenth century. It was destroyed during the War of Independence, saving only the tower, and for that reason there is a popular saying that says "Chinchón has a tower without a church and a church without a tower". The Clock Tower remained standing although throughout history it has undergone several restorations. In the first, which took place in the eighteenth century, the clock was placed, but the most important was carried out in the nineteenth century.

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption
04
POI

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

In 1534 the construction works began but they were not finished until 1626. In its interior one can sense the passage of time through the architectural styles that have been shaping it: Gothic, Plateresque, Renaissance and Baroque. The church suffered important damages during the War of Independence that affected fundamentally to the cover and the ornaments. Francisco de Goya made a canvas to decorate the church, "The Assumption of the Virgin" located in the center of the High Altar in 1812, at the request of his brother Camilo, Chaplain of this church.

Lope de Vega Theater
05
POI

Lope de Vega Theater

It is built on the ruins of the old Palace of the Counts, sadly disappeared after the War of Spanish Succession. It has this name because Lope de Vega wrote and signed in Chinchón the comedy "El Blasón de los Chaves de Villalba" when he was staying at the Palace with the Counts of Chinchón. It was built in 1891 by the Sociedad de Cosecheros. Inside there is a fantastic canvas with views, allegories of the city, which serves as a curtain and is the work of Luis Muriel.

San Roque Chapel
06
POI

San Roque Chapel

It is dedicated to San Roque, patron saint of the city and its construction dates from the second half of the seventeenth century. Of baroque architecture, with brick walls and masonry cajeada. It has two altarpieces, one with the image of Our Lady of Grace, patron saint of Chinchón and another larger one with the excellent carving of San Roque from 1716.

Castle of the Counts
07
POI

Castle of the Counts

Built at the end of the 15th century, although it was demolished in a communist attack in 1520. The III Count of Chinchón, years later decided to build the current one on the foundations of the previous one. It was well preserved until 1705, when it suffered the consequences of the War of Succession. In 1808, during the three-day siege of Chinchón during the War of Independence, it was plundered and burned. From then on, part of its materials were used to repair roads, fences and houses. Its last use was as a liquor factory.

Casa de la Cadena
08
POI

Casa de la Cadena

It was the place of lodging of the king Felipe V, to its passage by Chinchón, the night of the 25 of February of 1706. It is a baroque building of the late seventeenth century with the facade ordered in three bodies, with linteled access door.

M.M. Poor Clares Convent
09
POI

M.M. Poor Clares Convent

The construction of this building began in the 16th century, although it was not founded until 1653 by the 5th Counts of Chinchón. The characteristic architecture of the Spanish Baroque is appreciated. It consists of the Herrerian style church and the convent. The building is of great austerity by using materials such as brick and masonry. The Pantheon of the V Counts of Chinchón is made of marble and is located in the choir of the church of the Convent. It is also worth a visit for the famous sweets made by the nuns.

Romanesque Hermitage of San Antón
10
POI

Romanesque Hermitage of San Antón

Formerly dedicated to St. Stephen, is an eighteenth century building, built on a previous Romanesque XI century, which retains the old Romanesque apse and Gothic paintings inside, recently discovered. It is probably the oldest religious building in the town of Chinchón.

Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary
11
POI

Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary

Annexed to the current Parador de Turismo, is the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, which historically belonged to the convent of St. Augustine. The church, in baroque style, has a nave with side chapels, which were used as cells for prisoners when the convent was converted into a jail during the civil war. Some baroque frescoes stand out on a part of the crossing, of vivid color, with grecas, leaves, columns and other ornaments. In 1846 it was dedicated to the veneration of the Virgin of the Rosary. The church had a beautiful baroque altarpiece as the main altar, which burned down in October 1929, without damaging the carving of the Virgin. Its festivity is celebrated annually on the third weekend of September.

Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia Hermitage
12
POI

Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia Hermitage

Of baroque style, this hermitage of brick facade and linteled door, was the church of the old Hospital de la Misericordia, founded in the XVII century. Inside it has a single nave and an altarpiece with the image of Our Lady of Mercy and a painting of Santa Lucia of excellent quality.