Logo Los Pueblos Más Bonitos de EspañaLos Pueblos Más Bonitos de España - Inicio
ContactEnterManagement
Qué ver

Points of interest in Sos del Rey Católico

7 puntos de interés para descubrir

Mapa de lugares

Cargando mapa...

Descripción de cada lugar

Castle
01
POI

Castle

As a border town between the neighboring kingdoms of Navarre and Aragon, Sos had its fortified castle to reinforce the defensive line. This was really the origin of the population, which was gradually building their homes around this primitive castle, which was originally built of wood. It is located at the top of the Feliciana rock, the highest part of the town, which facilitated the defense of the square. Nothing remains of the original wooden castle. As construction techniques evolved, wood was replaced by stone, and currently the most remarkable vestige of the 12th century castle that has been preserved is the restored keep.

Hermitage of Santa Lucía (XII-XIII century)
02
POI

Hermitage of Santa Lucía (XII-XIII century)

The hermitage of Santa Lucía is a small church located outside the walled enclosure. It was originally consecrated to San Miguel, to whom the beautiful Gothic mural paintings in the apse refer. The church is a construction of a single nave, of basilical plant, built at the end of the XII century or beginnings of the XIII century. The construction is closed with a barrel vault, which ends in a semicircular apse, in which the mural paintings are preserved. The front of the church is simple, composed of three pointed arches, which give access to the interior. At present, the hermitage can be visited on the day of Santa Lucia (December 13), before or after the services that are celebrated there.

St. Stephen's Church
03
POI

St. Stephen's Church

The church of San Esteban is located next to the castle. The complex consists of the church itself, intended for worship, the crypt and the cloister, which gives access from the street that goes up from the town square, to the main entrance of the church. The most primitive structure is the crypt of Santa María del Perdón, whose construction began in the middle of the 11th century and where Gothic mural paintings are preserved. Access to the church of San Esteban is through the 12th century Romanesque doorway. Exposure to wind and rain quickly damaged the stone, and therefore, in the sixteenth century the portico was built to try to protect the carvings. Inside, the highlights are the 8th century baptismal font, the Romanesque Christ of Forgiveness, the mid-16th century choir stalls and the rococo organ.

Lonja
04
POI

Lonja

Going up from the square, towards the church, we find on the right the building that used to be La Lonja de Sos del Rey Católico. It was built as a market place and meeting place for the town council in the Middle Ages, and currently houses the municipal library in its main building. In addition to this main building, the Lonja has an open space, formed by a porticoed porch, composed of pointed arches and two holes excavated to store ice, necessary for example in the preservation of food.

Jewish
05
POI

Jewish

Sos preserves what was the medieval Jewish quarter, known today as the "upper quarter". It was originally formed by about thirty houses around a main street from which you could access the center of town and from which arise several dead ends or callizos. The heart of the Jewish quarter is known as the Plaza de la Sartén, in one of whose houses is preserved the indentation where the Mezuzah is located. Given the proximity to Navarra, when in 1492 the decree of expulsion was signed, most of the Jews of the town crossed the border to the neighboring kingdom.

La Vaquilla Exhibition
06
POI

La Vaquilla Exhibition

Exhibition space located in the palace of Sada, birthplace of Ferdinand the Catholic. Access is through a separate door to the center, and the opening hours are the same as those of the interpretation center. It has two exhibition halls, where you can take a tour of the film and what it meant for the locality, through various graphic and audiovisual material.

Valentuñana Monastery
07
POI

Valentuñana Monastery

Built by the Discalced Carmelites at the end of the 17th century, the Convent of Our Lady of Valentuñana is located about 2 km. from the town of Sos del Rey Católico. The Carmelites came to this place in order to live a community life with the Virgin of Valentuñana and to attend to the pastoral needs of the surrounding villages. But the history of the Discalced Carmelites was not as peaceful and calm as they would have liked to live it. They had not finished building the Convent when Sos was invaded by French troops during the War of Independence. The religious had to abandon the Convent. They tried to return but were again surprised by the Carlist Wars, and finally abandoned the Convent after the decree of disentailment of Mendizábal in 1835. The ruins of the Convent, after some years of abandonment, are acquired by a widow, lover of the Virgin of Valentuñana and donated to the Bishopric of Jaca. The Bishop of Jaca offered the Augustinian Recollects the possibility of continuing the work of the Discalced Carmelites. The Augustinian Recollects arrived in Valentuñana on October 13, 1902. It became a Major Seminary and from 1918 groups of missionaries began to leave for the Americas, a work in which the Augustinian Recollects continue to this day. Proof of these missions is a visit to the Cloister, converted into a small missionary museum, the Church and the Hall of the Virgins.