The Church of the Dominican Mothers. · Caleruega
MULTIEXPERIENCIA
The Church of the Dominican Mothers of Caleruega began to be built in 1266 together with the Monastery, by order of King Alfonso X. In 1270 the Dominican Mothers settled there, also receiving the Lordship of Caleruega.
The complex occupies the site of the Family House of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, founder of the Order of Preachers, born in Caleruega around 1170 and baptized in the church of San Sebastián, whose baptismal font has been used by the Royal House since 1605. The church, in Gothic style, has a ribbed vault with pointed arches and a choir for ceremonies.
At the end of the 16th century it was enlarged with a classicist church, with a semicircular dome in the transept and a 17th century high altar with paintings by Blas de Cervera and a Calvary from the school of Gregorio Fernández. A baroque altarpiece is dedicated to Blessed Juana, mother of Santo Domingo. Under the church is the crypt, with the saint's well, mosaics by Father Iturgaiz and the tomb of Manuel Suárez, as well as the tomb of the biblical scholar Alberto Colunga.

