Logo Los Pueblos Más Bonitos de EspañaLos Pueblos Más Bonitos de España - Inicio
ContactEnterManagement
Qué ver

Points of interest in Zuheros

10 puntos de interés para descubrir

Mapa de lugares

Cargando mapa...

Descripción de cada lugar

Castle-Palace of Zuheros
01
POI

Castle-Palace of Zuheros

The origin of the castle is established in the ninth century by a group of Muslims, the Banu-Himsi, who settled in the vicinity of the village in an area of crags called "Sujayra". During the Caliphate of Cordoba the castle of Zuheros was within a small walled enclosure, with about 30 houses, a mosque and several towers, belonged to the Cora of Elvira and was part of one of the most important routes of this period to link the Caliphate capital (Cordoba) with the Nasrid capital (Granada). Merchants passed through it, but it was also a route of knowledge, science and the arts. Zuheros was taken in the early 1240s by the troops of Ferdinand III the Saint, supposedly on May 14, the day of St. Matthias. The mosque that was inside the wall, after some minor reforms was reformed to a temple with a nave with a column in the middle and was consecrated to Santa Maria. After the Christian conquest of the Kingdom of Granada, the fence surrounding the town was gradually dismantled. At the end of the 15th century the construction of the Renaissance Palace began, being lords of Zuheros D. Alonso and D. Juan de Cordoba, which is believed to have never been completed. In the mid-sixteenth century began to expand the parish church being attributed both constructions to Hernán Ruiz IIII. With the passage of time there is an abandonment of the castle, towers and palace leaving everything in ruins, in 1760 a clock with its bell is placed in the castle tower replaced in 1927, remaining in the tower until the decade of the 60s of the twentieth century when it is dismantled and placed on the facade of the church. In 1964 the towers that we see now were rebuilt. Schedules and rates

Cave of the Bats
02
POI

Cave of the Bats

Located in the heart of the Geopark of the Sierras Subbeticas, within the municipality of Zuheros, 4 km from the town center. The cave is 976 m above sea level, with a touristic route of 415m, 700 steps and in its touristic visit a descent of up to 65 m deep is made. The maximum depth discovered so far is 75.5 meters. So far it is the largest cave in the province of Cordoba with more than 3,300 m topographed. It is the water that for thousands of years has been in charge of creating this cavity. To highlight the different rooms of the cave with limestone formations. The most famous formation in the Cueva de los Murciélagos is undoubtedly the one known as "El Espárrago", a stalagmite with a height of 4 meters, but the stalactite on which its growth depends measures only 10 centimeters. In the spring of 1938 a group of army officers went into the cavity for the first official exploration, where they discovered a human skeleton in one of its deepest parts. In the middle of the decade of the 40's (of the 20th century) Neolithic and Chalcolithic cave paintings, unique in the world, were found in the cave. It is in 1962 and 1969 when the first archaeological works were carried out, giving as the most notorious result, that the Andalusian Neolithic began with a millennium in advance of what until that moment was believed. From 1990 to 1993 and in 2002 the last excavations were carried out with the aim of further advancing in the history hidden in the cave and creating a small route for people who had difficulty facing the official itinerary, thus eliminating the deepest rooms of the cave. In 2018, the results of DNA tests carried out on the skeleton were obtained, showing that we are facing another important discovery of the cave, and that the human skeleton buried in the deepest part of the cave is the first farmer in the south of the Iberian Peninsula, who lived 7,245 years ago. Reservations and rates

Museum of Customs and Popular Arts "Juan Fernández Cruz".
03
POI

Museum of Customs and Popular Arts "Juan Fernández Cruz".

In the Museum of Customs and Popular Arts of Juan Fernandez Cruz, exhibits a collection of more than 3000 pieces that will transport you to the customs and traditions of Zuheros. In this museum is recreated along 28 museum spaces the economic and social way of life of Zuheros, and its region, from the late nineteenth century to the mid-twentieth century. In addition, in different areas of the museum are exhibited a number of collections, such as models and agricultural miniatures made by the founder, the keys, locks and bolts or cigars. Opening hours and prices

Municipal Archaeological Museum
04
POI

Municipal Archaeological Museum

The Municipal Archaeological Museum of Zuheros was inaugurated on August 14, 1992. It displays archaeological remains from the excavations of the cave carried out during the years 1991-1992, as well as other remains from sites located in the municipality. The first display case is dedicated to the Middle Paleolithic where we can see quite rudimentary lithic tools attributable to the Neanderthal homo. Here we can see a spearhead and a raedera. The second one begins the Neolithic and is dedicated to the almagra pottery, very well represented in the site of the Cueva de los Murciélagos. The following showcases display ceramic remains of the "incised pottery" and "impressed pottery" types. Both were made with sharp objects, punches. The former by making small superficial marks "incisions" in the wet paste and the latter by pressing with different objects. Another display case contains Neolithic tools such as awls and tubes made with bone and flint blades. There are also some ornaments such as bracelets made of marble and necklaces made with shells from the coast of Malaga. In the next one there are some bones of animals that they had domesticated and some representation of the cereals that they cultivated, like the escaña, autochthonous crop of the subbetica, in addition to human bony remains. In the adjoining display, remains from the Chalcolithic or Copper Age and the Bronze Age can be seen. Here some remains of pottery made of copper and a tulip made of bronze can be seen. And in the last one it emphasizes material belonging to the Roman Age. Here we find fragments of skylights, metal nails, rings, bone dice and coins that indicate that the cave was occupied during the lower empire. On the other hand, we find a togado from the Roman period, a white limestone sarcophagus found in 1985 in the Zuheros area, a capital from the castle-palace and a quicialera, the latter belonging to the Muslim period. Rates and schedules

Ecomuseum Cueva de los Murciélagos (Cave of the Bats)
05
POI

Ecomuseum Cueva de los Murciélagos (Cave of the Bats)

Here the visitor will be able to take a journey into the past based on a mysterious discovery. This is the interesting starting point of a tour through the various rooms that represent the interior of the cave; a system of cavities and galleries where you can appreciate the beauty of the colors and textures of the karst formations, originated by the slow dissolution of the limestone rock. It will also serve to show the peculiar beings that inhabit the crevices of the rocks: bats, flying mammals with a special system that allows them to see in absolute darkness. Finally, the exhibition shows the importance of the archaeological remains found there, composed of human and pictorial skeletons, which have been key to reconstructing the history of man's past in the south of the Peninsula. Schedules

Sierras Subbeticas Natural Park-Geopark
06
POI

Sierras Subbeticas Natural Park-Geopark

With an area of 31,568 hectares and located in the southern part of the province of Cordoba and in the heart of Andalusia is the Natural Park of the Sierras Subbeticas. Declared a Natural Park in 1988, it was recognized by Unesco as a Geopark in 2006 and included in the European Geoparks Network (European Geoparks Networks). All hiking routes that pass through the Bailón river canyon (located inside the Sierras Subbéticas Geopark) require prior authorization.As main tourist attraction facilities, the Sierras Subbeticas Natural Park has a Visitor Center (Santa Rita), an Ecomuseum (Cave of the bats), several viewpoints and an extensive network of trails. Geology is established as the basis for introducing the biological, archeological and cultural diversity of the area. Telematic System for Issuing Authorizations for Public Use Trails in the Natural Park that cross reserve zones.

Climbing Zone
07
POI

Climbing Zone

Climbing in Zuheros is practiced within a natural park, always follow the recommendations of the Consejería de Medio Ambiente. Always be respectful with plants and wild animals, always pick up your garbage and try to make your presence as inconspicuous as possible. Climbing is a risky sport, you should make use of all the necessary safety equipment. Always wear a helmet. Most of the areas where climbing is practiced in Zuheros are private, do not disturb the livestock, they are the ones who are at home, you are a visitor. Climbing is a risky sport and the town hall of Zuheros disclaims any responsibility for any accident that may occur. These sketches are indicative both the degree of difficulty of the routes as the location of the same as the number of plates and meetings may contain some error. The creator of these sketches disclaims any responsibility for errors in their edition. Always be careful with the use of your climbing equipment. It is strictly forbidden to make any modification of the climbing routes, any change in the areas, as well as the equipping or opening of new routes. For more information on this subject contact the Subbetica Climbers Association. For more information, please contact

Oleotourism
08
POI

Oleotourism

The EVOO culture is born of yesteryear, of our elders, of ancestral traditions, of caring with care for our mine of liquid gold. Zuheros takes you into this world of OLEOTURISMO, so that you can learn more about it, valuing the quality and giving meaning to the work of our farmers. We offer you a series of activities to do that you can consult by clicking here.

Guided Sunset Tours
09
POI

Guided Sunset Tours

Enjoy a unique summer sunsets strolling through Zuheros on Friday afternoons, during the visit of 1 hour and a half tour you will get into the history and customs of Zuheros, as well as, you will visit the most picturesque corners of the town accessing the enclosure of the tower and the castle-palace. Day: Every Friday in July and August. Schedule: From 19:30- 20:00 hours. Duration: 1 hour and a half approximately. Reservations

Nuestra Señora de los Remedios Church
10
POI

Nuestra Señora de los Remedios Church

The parish of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios is a parish church located in Zuheros. Originally, the Church of Los Remedios was under a different dedication, Santa Maria. The present church began to be built in 1590. Because the original church under the title of Santa Maria was too small to accommodate the population, the new one, with a single nave, was built under the title of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios. In 1696 the baroque altarpiece was placed, the half orange dome and the chapels of the Señor de la Humildad and del Rosario, the current Sagrario. The niches of the main altarpiece house images of the patron saint, a seated carving from the 13th century, although mutilated to dress her. Built under the mandate of Fernando Martines de Córdoba, with only one nave at the beginning, it underwent reforms in 1696. In the XVIII century a series of reforms were carried out, also buying the organ, raising the tower and building a second body in red brick that added the bell tower in the year 1795 that was made on the old minaret. Among some details of worship is the chalice of the XVl century work of the silversmith Pedro Fernandez and the carving of the patron saint Nuestra Señora de los Remedios of the Xlll century. The main altarpiece is made of gilded wood made in the XVII century, in the center of which is the patron saint of the town for which the parish is named, also the patron saint of the town to the right of the altarpiece, San Matías. Years later four chapels were built: to the left the chapel of Our Father Jesus Nazarene and the Virgin of Sorrows to the right starting from the altarpiece towards the street the chapel of the Holy Christ of Humility and Contempt in which there is another altarpiece of about the same time as the main one, Chapel of the Holy Tabernacle with another altarpiece also of the same date and chapel of the Holy Sepulchre and Christ of Charity. It has undergone several reforms in recent years, among them, the creation of a school workshop. The cemetery, built in the late seventeenth century, early eighteenth century, was removed in 1960, making the current cemetery of Zuheros in 1964.