Logo Los Pueblos Más Bonitos de EspañaLos Pueblos Más Bonitos de España - Inicio
ContactEnterManagement
Qué ver

Points of interest in Valderrobres

6 puntos de interés para descubrir

Mapa de lugares

Cargando mapa...

Descripción de cada lugar

Valderrobres City Council
01
POI

Valderrobres City Council

It is a building inspired by the City Hall of Alcañiz, although here a commodities exchange would be added for commercial purposes in addition to the administrative and judicial ones that the building already had. It was possibly built under the orders of the master Antonio de Champanyach in the mannerist style and was finished in 1599, the date that appears sculpted on the coat of arms of the facade. This shield has the peculiarity of providing for the first time the figures of two griffins, a male and a female, to the traditional shield of the oak that had been symbolizing Valderrobres since the thirteenth century. In 1847 a painter (possibly Jerónimo Palau) was commissioned to decorate the façade with an allegorical painting on which even today, despite its deterioration, the emblem "peace, union and freedom" can be read. In 1929 the building was reproduced in the Pueblo Español in Barcelona.

The Stone Bridge
02
POI

The Stone Bridge

Valderrobres could hardly have a more spectacular entrance than the one provided by the impressive medieval bridge and the Portal de San Roque. Fundamental piece of its architecture and perfectly recognizable image wherever our town is mentioned. The construction of the bridge seems to be associated with the construction of its walls, so we could date the beginning of the works to build it around 1390, with the request that the archbishop García Fernández de Heredia made to King Juan I to build these fortifications. It would be much more difficult to state with certainty the date of its completion, probably in the early fifteenth century and Valderrobres being under the prelature of Dalmau de Mur, also responsible for the highest floors of our castle. It is a completely medieval bridge, with four spans, extremely solid and provided with wedge-shaped cutwaters designed to protect it from strong floods and prevent the accumulation of logs. In the 16th century, the Town Hall was built on its last span, thus modifying the appearance of the bridge in its final section when it connects with the square. The bridge crosses the old main gate of access to the walled enclosure. At the end of the 16th century this gate was consecrated to San Roque, protector against epidemics and patron saint of the town, remaining today as one of the best preserved gates of the whole complex.

The Vergós Portal
03
POI

The Vergós Portal

In the framework of medieval Valderrobres, the gates that crossed its walls giving access to the town, were a fundamental piece. It is very possible that in the surroundings of Valderrobres already existed a set of walls in times of the Reconquest and that probably in the time of Archbishop Fernandez de Heredia needed to be repaired or expanded in view of the growth of the population, for which the prelate asked permission to Juan I, to collect a sisa and with that money to fortify the town again. There were seven exits in the layout of these walls, each one corresponding to an access road that would take us to one of the surrounding villages. In the case of the Portal de Vergós, it seems that it was the exit that led to the neighboring town of Torre del Compte. Over time, each of these exits was sanctified and placed under the protection of a saint of the Christian pantheon, leaving the portal under the auspices of the Immaculate Conception, as evidenced by a niche, now empty, on the facade of one of the houses attached to the wall.

The Hermitage of the Saints, Valderrobres
04
POI

The Hermitage of the Saints, Valderrobres

It is difficult to say with precision the date in which this hermitage was erected in honor of San Abdón and San Senén, although most of the available information points to a date around 1420. Architecturally it is difficult to situate it in a concrete style, even more if we take into account that throughout its history it has suffered numerous collapses and consequently numerous reconstructions like the one of 1685, year that appears engraved in the facade, and in which very probably the attached house that the hermit inhabited was added to the temple. This hermit was not only in charge of taking care of the hermitage but also of teaching letters to the young inhabitants of the surrounding farmhouses and ringing the bell in case of a storm or simply to mark the hours, a tradition that was maintained until the 30s of the twentieth century. Currently, the big day of the hermitage is August 19, when the inhabitants of Valderrobres go there in pilgrimage to celebrate a picnic and participate in games of deep-rooted popular tradition.

Santa Maria Maggiore
05
POI

Santa Maria Maggiore

Built in the fourteenth century and inseparably linked to the figure of the castle, the church of Valderrobres, is one of the most splendid examples of Levantine Gothic in the province of Teruel. Despite the numerous attacks of time and wars, the church has preserved intact its stylistic purity and after a recent major restoration looks more spectacular than ever. The church of Valderrobres can be visited by presenting the entrance of the castle during the opening hours of the castle. Outside the visiting hours are the times when religious services take place inside the castle.

Valderrobres Castle
06
POI

Valderrobres Castle

Although the existence of an earlier construction cannot be ruled out, the documented history of the castle of Valderrobres begins at the end of the 12th century, when, coinciding with the Reconquest, it is shown as a defensive tower. In 1307, the archbishop of Zaragoza became the definitive feudal lord of these territories and promoted the construction of the most monumental Valderrobres, starting with the Gothic church and part of the first floor of the castle. In 1390, Archbishop García Fernández de Heredia resumed the works, transforming the old defensive tower into a palace that would serve as a residence for himself and the many lords who at that time passed through this area on their travels. After the assassination of Don García in 1411, the construction would again remain stagnant, but in the thirties of that century, a new archbishop would become interested in the territory: Dalmau de Mur y Cervellón, one of the great patrons of art and culture of the fourteenth century. Don Dalmau focused his patronage on the completion of the works begun. In addition to his contributions to finish the church, he reformed the second floor of the castle of Valderrobres, giving it a more utilitarian approach as a warehouse and finished the upper rooms, as well as the wall of the parade ground and the accesses. From the 16th century, the castle remains as a rarely used residence of the Archbishop of Zaragoza. Wear and tear and disuse took their toll on it over the centuries and only in rare exceptions, such as the reforms of Hernaldo de Aragón in the 16th century or the diocesan synod of 1656, did it find some of its former splendor. The coup de grâce came in the 19th century, when the confiscations made the building become State property, which meant its abandonment and the beginning of more than a century of ruin and massive despoilment. Fortunately, from 1980 and especially between 1982 and 1983, the monument began to be restored. In 1991, with the covering of the distributor of the first