Logo Los Pueblos Más Bonitos de EspañaLos Pueblos Más Bonitos de España - Inicio
ContactEnterManagement
Qué ver

Points of interest in Cantavieja

9 puntos de interés para descubrir

Mapa de lugares

Cargando mapa...

Descripción de cada lugar

Cristo Rey Square, Cantavieja
01
POI

Cristo Rey Square, Cantavieja

Architectural complex of rectangular shape. It is arcaded on three sides, each with its own style and dimensions. On the side of the church are three large and slender pointed arches, which serve as an outer atrium to the church with plank pavement. Six semicircular arches support the great hall of the town hall. On the other side of the porches, in front of the church, they are pointed, lowered, very reduced and less graceful than those of the temple. The whole complex was plastered with lime until the stone underneath was recovered in the 1972 restoration. It was restored by the "Servicio de Ciudades de Interés Histórico-Artístico" of the Dirección General de Arquitectura (Ministry of Housing). The author of the restoration project and director of the work was the architect Mr. Francisco Pons Sorolla, grandson of the painter Joaquín Sorolla. The father of the famous painter was born in Cantavieja in 1833 and his name was Joaquín Sorolla Gascón.

Cantavieja City Hall
02
POI

Cantavieja City Hall

It stands on the east side of the square, is a building of masonry and ashlar masonry in its main elements, supported by six semicircular arches, with eaves of stone canes double modillion, very characteristic. The façade has three Gothic windows with their corresponding mullions or mullions. One of the windows is inside the exterior atrium of the church. It seems that, in the beginning, they were Gothic windows but for some reason unknown to us, the ogives of the windows were hidden, the mullions were eliminated and they were converted into balconies. In the restoration they were left as balconies but the old structure was recovered. The Casa Concejil presides over the monumental square.

Our Lady of the Assumption Church
03
POI

Our Lady of the Assumption Church

It seems that there was a first church of which the doorway is preserved, under the tower, of clear Romanesque style, with vegetal decoration. There was also a second church of which the tower and the doorway to the square are preserved. On the tower we read the date 1612. The tower is raised on an arch or door that serves as street, is square in its first body, takes octagonal shape in the second, the bells, topped with battlements, and on these we find a pyramidal type top. "In less than a century Cantavieja saw three different churches on the same site. The primitive one was demolished as ruinous, and on its foundations another one was built in 1664, sufficient for the population density, and artistic judging by the vestiges that remain of it. MAIN ALTAR- CHURCH NTRA SRA. ASUNCION The current archpriestly church is the largest in the entire diocese of Teruel. It is said about its construction that "it arrives in 1730, when only 66 years had passed since the previous one was built, and only to comfortably house its two thousand inhabitants. Cantavieja undertook the task of demolishing it, and on its enlarged site, erected a third temple, spacious, majestic, worthy of the descendants of those noblemen and noblemen, whose coats of arms still stand on the frontispieces of some houses, and worthy of the religiosity of the people.

Old Castle of Cantavieja
04
POI

Old Castle of Cantavieja

Located on a steep spur, its plan takes the form of an isosceles triangle adapting to the abruptness of the landscape, limiting the long sides in two ravines. The vertex between the two is occupied by the primitive Templar castle, the original point of the village. The castle, due to the rugged and vertical slopes, has superior strategic conditions "to all the Aragonese fortresses, including Loarre". This castle surely keeps the unknown antiquity of the town, hidden under the via crucis, and it is that, both by the vicinity of other settlements discovered in nearby territories, and by the topographic characteristics of the plateau on which sits Cantavieja, it is permissible a retro-extrapolation of history to assert the existence of a village, in the minor angle of an isosceles triangle that was the medieval walled town. If Cantavieja had not reached our days alive, probably any archaeological researcher would have already excavated Iberian ruins there.... The castle in Templar times had at its apex a tower with a triangular base (the current one is cylindrical, from the hermitage added in 1873). Towers would have both the outer wall and the one that separated the two enclosures; in places where the rock facilitated the natural defense the wall would be less thick and of lower height than the Southwest wall. After the resistance of the Templars to eight months of cruel siege by Berenguer de Tobía, the fortress was abandoned. The Knights of the Order of San Juan or of the Hospital were the heirs of all the belongings of the Templars, and when they arrived at Cantavieja in 1347 they would find the castle dismantled. We do not know the state of the castle in the 18th century. In April 1836, during the first Carlist war, Ramón Cabrera occupied the square and fortified it. The fortress of Cantavieja, as it had been built in previous centuries, was very weak. Cabrera decided to build an effective defense and the old walls were repaired in a few days. Cantavieja was the headquarters of Carlism in Aragon. It was the place chosen as a supply center, factory of "workshops for the recomposition of rifles and sabers", prison, cannon foundry, and even the publishing center of a Bulletin that appeared on Wednesdays and Saturdays. When the Carlist troops withdrew, the town and the castle were set on fire; the gunpowder storehouse and the main tower with most of the outbuildings were blown up. Another destruction of our castle that soon after becomes the way of the cross of the people. The tower are the challenges of a small chapel that was added in 1873 dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, and the four columns that supported the roof that served as an atrium.

Church of the Assumption
05
POI

Church of the Assumption

Church of the Assumption built in 1715 by the master architect Antonio Nadal, has large dimensions, cited by its architect "Not one like it in Rome".

Church Tower
06
POI

Church Tower

Building built in 1612 as a bell tower of the church, it houses in its interior wonderful exhibitions, such as the old school of the Casas de San Juan, dating from 1918, and the crockery of the same place of a greater value, from the eighteenth century and curious for its blue color, still belonging to the ceramic of Teruel, known for its green color. The views from its bell tower, are fabulous allowing to see the privileged place that occupies the locality. Limited access with the guided tours offered at the Tourist Office.

Church of San Miguel S. XV
07
POI

Church of San Miguel S. XV

Levantine Gothic building inside which houses a carved alabaster tomb of Gonzalo de Funes, Castellan of Amposta in 1409.

Refrigerator
08
POI

Refrigerator

Old snow pit used for centuries for the snow trade with the coast.

Loreto Hermitage
09
POI

Loreto Hermitage

Hermitage built in 1700, dedicated to the Virgin of Loreto, patron saint of the town.